Valewood Farm, Haslemere, England
Record Id: 5773
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
This was once the site of a small but elegant example of a 1920s garden in the style of Gertrude Jekyll. A Country Life Article (October 13, 1928, p. 523) gives a full description. The site is now a working farm with a new garden created to the north of the house.
Brief history of site
The site is part of the Valewood Estate, which is in itself part of the Blackdown Estate. Valewood House was built in the 1830s, with a park and pleasure grounds. Oliver Hill purchased the farm in 1926, restoring the derelict house and creating the garden. Gertrude Jekyll schemed the planting plan and gave many plants from her own garden.
Address: Bell Vale Lane, Haslemere, GU27 3AW
West Sussex; Chichester; Lurgashall
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU905316|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: farm
Site first created: 1926
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains