Sennicotts, Chichester, West Sussex , England
Record Id: 5769
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Sennicotts lies at the eastern end of the parish of Funtington. There is a Regency-style house, approached from a driveway from the south-east. There are many fine trees, some of which were lost during the 1987 storms. The gardens lie mainly to the north-west of the house, with parkland surrounding the gardens to the south, west and north of the property. There is also a kitchen garden and evidence of a home farm.
Brief history of site
Sennicotts was built by Charles Baker of the East India Company, son of a Chichester surgeon. Sennicotts is thought to have taken its name from 'seven cottages' on Saltbox common. The greater part of Saltbox Common was developed around 1810 to create three small country estates with houses in the Regency style. Sennicotts was one of those estates, and is thought to have been designed by James Elmes. The remaining pieces of common were enclosed officially in 1834, and absorbed into the three estates. There is no estate map in existence.
Address: Funtington, Chichester, PO18 9AJ
Locality: Chichester, West Sussex
West Sussex; Chichester; Funtington
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU837070|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1810
Main period of development: Early 19th century