Church Farm, Aldingbourne, (also known as Stepaside), Chichester, England
Record Id: 5729
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Many features of the site were extant in the late-19th century. In 1981, John Brookes of The Clockhouse, Fontwell, was asked to design a new garden. This included the many old flint buildings and walls and the two old walled-gardens. Features include ponds, a summer house, vegetable garden, well garden, orchard, broad borders and a gazebo.
Brief history of site
Edmund Sadler was the owner of Church Farm in 1847 according to the oldest map available. In addition, the 1875 map shows a large pond and extensive orchards.
Address: Oving Road, Aldingbourne, Chichester,, PO20 3UB
West Sussex; Arun; Aldingbourne
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU927053|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1847
Main period of development: Late 20th century
Survival: Part: standing remains