Wall Hall, (also known as Wars Hall), Watford, England
Record Id: 5704
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Wall Hall has the remains of an early-19th-century park and pleasure grounds, which were further developed during the later-19th and 20th centuries. Humphry Repton gave advice on the early-19th-century layout. Much of the parkland is now a golf course and the house has been converted to luxury homes.
Brief history of site
By the mid-18th century a house called Wars Hall stood east of the River Colne. In 1799 the Wars Hall estate was sold to George Thelluson, who remodelled the house in Gothick style and laid out the surrounding park and pleasure grounds. In November 1802 Humphry Repton visited the estate, and in 1803 produced a Red Book. Further work occurred on the estate during the later 19th century, particularly around 1860.
Address: Wall Hall Mansion, Wall Hall Drive, Aldenham, Hertfordshire, WD25 8BZ
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TQ137994|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: multiple dwelling
Site first created: 1799 to 1803
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 65