Tanners Manor, Waldron, East Sussex, England
Record Id: 5695
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The estate forms a rough triangle with the Manor and lake of about half a hectare in the vertex pointing north. To the south of the manor is parkland with some wooded areas. Over the years the number of trees has reduced.
Abbs (1999) notes a cricket pavilion (1923), a kitchen garden and an arbour.
Brief history of site
The Ordnance Survey 1" map (1813) shows a small group of buildings, labelled Tanners Farm, with no evidence of gardens or a lake. On the Ordnance Survey 6" map (1874) the house is called Great Tanners and orchards and a lake are marked.
Address: Lions Green, Waldron, TN21 0PG
Locality: Waldron, East Sussex
East Sussex; Wealden; Horam
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ564183|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1813 to 1874
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains