Longford Hall, Shropshire, Longford, Newport, Shropshire, England
Record Id: 5664
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
There has been a park at Longford since the 13th century. In the 18th century, a newly-built hall was set within a 150-acre park.
Brief history of site
Adam de Brompton had a park at Longford in 1275. In 1788, the Longford estate was purchased by Ralph Leeke, a political agent for the British East India Company. He immediately
commissioned Joseph Bonomi to design a new house in the park. In recent years, the hall and grounds were purchased by Adams' Grammar School, and the hall is used as a boarding house.
Address: Longford Hall, Longford, Newport, Shropshire, TF10 8LR
Locality: Longford, Newport, Shropshire
Telford and Wrekin; Church Aston
Historical County: Shropshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ728182|
Form of site: park
Purpose of site: playing field
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: Before 1275
Main period of development: 13th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 61