Chelwood Beacon, Haywards Heath, West Sussex , England
Record Id: 5633
Edward Wormold bought Beacon Farm in 1882, building a sizeable mansion re-named Chelwood Beacon and acquiring additional land. From 1900 Sir Henry S.C. Clarke Jervoise lived there until he died in May 1911. The estate passed to the 6th Earl Donoughmore who was at Verdun in World War 1. He brought back chestnuts back from Verdun, which he planted at Chelwood. The Earl died in 1948 and since then the Beacon has been home for the elderly.
1948: The house became a nursing home after the death of the 6th Earl Donoughmore.
People associated with this site
Designer: Walter Hindes Godfrey (born 02/08/1881 died 16/09/1961)