Lewes House, Lewes, East Sussex, England
Record Id: 5607
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site has a town garden enclosed by a high flint wall. It has been developed since the early-18th century, and has considerable historic map evidence of its layout. Between 1890 and 1929 the house was the home of the art collector Edward Percy Warren. The site is now in municipal ownership.
Brief history of site
Two plots of land came into the same ownership on the marriage of their owners, and from this the site of Lewes House developed.
Address: 32 High Street, Lewes, BN7 1YB
Locality: Lewes, East Sussex
East Sussex; Lewes; Lewes
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ414100|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site for general public use. Please see:
Form of site: town garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1700 to 1720
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains