Pelham House, Lewes, East Sussex, England
Record Id: 5552
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The house was built in the late-16th century. The basic layout of the ornamental garden remains, although the kitchen garden has been lost to building. There is a terrace against the house, steps and a lawn. The garden is enclosed by high walls.
Brief history of site
The house was built by the Goring family. The site has been developed by several owners. The layout of the site, on three tiers at different levels has remained constant from at least the late-18th century. The site was purchased by East Sussex County Council in 1928, and is now a hotel.
Address: St. Andrews Lane, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 1UW
Locality: East Sussex
East Sussex; Lewes
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ415099|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1550 to 1599
Main period of development: 16th century
Survival: Part: standing remains