Lewes Priory and Lord's Place of St Pancras, East Sussex, England
Record Id: 5550
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The walled priory precinct enclosed about 30 acres. Features included a pigeon house, stew pond, 'convent' garden and a 'saffron' garden. After the Dissolution, the Prior's Lodging was re-built into a new house called Lord's Place. Features include a prospect mount and a sunken rectangle termed the 'dripping pan'.
Brief history of site
Lewes Priory was begun in the late-11th century, with more building in the late-12th and early-13th centuries.
Address: Southover, Lewes, BN7 2XA
Locality: East Sussex
East Sussex; Lewes
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ415096|
Opening contact details:
A herb garden on the site is open to the public. There are also occasional open days or visits can be arranged.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: ancient monument
Site first created: After 1050
Main period of development: 16th century
Survival: Part: standing remains