Brocket Hall, Welwyn, England
Record Id: 553
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Originating in the medieval period, the estate was laid out as a landscape park with woodland in the mid-18th century. The site covers about 200 hectares, and now contains two golf courses.
Brief history of site
In 1700 the Brocket estate was described thus: 'Brocket Hall was the ancient seat of the Brockets situated upon a dry hill in a fair park, well wooded and greatly timber'd enclosed with a brick wall on the west side of the road for the length of a mile and plentifully watered with the River Lea' (Chauncy 1700). From 1760, the hall was re-built by James Paine. Richard Woods was employed from 1770 to improve the setting of Paine's Hall within the park.
Address: Brocket Hall, Welwyn, Hertfordshire, AL8 7XG
Hertfordshire; Welwyn Hatfield; Hatfield
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL214130|
West of Welwyn, north of the B653
Opening contact details:
Hotel, restaurant, conference venue, golf course. It may be possible to visit the gardens by arrangement - please telephone.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: golf course
Context or principal building: hotel
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: Before 1700
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 200