Albury Park, Surrey, England
Record Id: 55
The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):
In 1637-8 the manor of Albury passed to the trustees for Thomas Howard, second Earl of Arundel. After his death in 1646, the succession passed to his eldest grandson, Thomas, who in 1653 conveyed Albury to his brother Henry, later to be created sixth Duke of Norfolk. With the architect George Evelyn, Henry enlarged the manor house and made major alterations to the gardens with the assistance of John Evelyn, the diarist (1620-1706). Henry Howard died in 1684 and his son sold Albury to Heneage Finch, who became Earl of Aylesford in 1714. Albury remained in the possession of the Aylesfords until 1780, when the estate was sold to Captain (afterwards Admiral) Finch, a younger brother. A wealthy man, he closed the public roads across the estate, annexing several village properties. After his death in 1794 the estate passed to his son, and after passing through several ownerships it was acquired by Henry Drummond in 1819. He employed A W N Pugin (1812-52) to remodel the house, and planted exotic trees within the pleasure grounds. In the 1830s Drummond became an apostle of the so-called Catholic Apostolic Church and by 1835 Albury had become the spiritual centre of the sect. In 1840, having closed the parish church within the estate and built a replacement in nearby Weston Street, Drummond built a 'cathedral' for the sect. Through the marriage of Drummond's eldest daughter, the property eventually passed to the Percy family, the dukes of Northumberland. After the death of the Dowager Duchess Helen, widow of Alan, eighth Duke of Northumberland, in 1965, the property remained empty for four years until it was purchased, together with the gardens immediately to the north, by the Mutual Households Association (now Country Houses Association) for conversion to private apartments. The parkland and woods surrounding the mansion and the formal gardens north of the Tilling Bourne remain (1999) in the ownership of the trustees of the Albury Estate.
1965: After the death of the Dowager Duchess Helen in 1965, the property remained empty for four years until it was purchased, together with the gardens immediately to the north, by the Mutual Households Association (now Country Houses Association) for conversion to private apartments.
People associated with this site
Designer: Henry Drummond
Writer: John Evelyn (born 1620 died 1706)
Architect: Henry Hakewill (born 1771 died 13/03/1830)
Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (born 01/03/1812 died 14/09/1852)
Architect: Sir John Soane (born 10/09/1753 died 20/01/1837)
Feature created: 1655 to 1677
Creator: John Evelyn (born 1620 died 1706)
There are largely intact terraced gardens.