Broadlands, Romsey, England
Record Id: 546
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Broadlands has the remains of formal gardens, pleasure grounds and a landscape park. The gardens were developed around 1736 by the 1st Viscount Palmerston. Between 1763 and 1779 Capability Brown continued this work for the 2nd Viscount. Further adaptations were undertaken from 1868 to 1875 by William Eden Nesfield.
Brief history of site
Broadlands formed part of the abbey of Romsey in the 10th century. It passed through various ownerships after the Dissolution. Sir John Barbe, who succeeded in 1661, made considerable improvements to the house and laid out an elaborate formal garden. Lord Palmerston bought the estate in 1736, and began the replanning of the gardens down to the river along more informal lines in 1738-9, for which he is reported to have employed William Kent. In 1767 the second Lord Palmerston commissioned Lancelot Brown to provide a comprehensive design for remodelling the house and surrounding grounds and for laying out and planting the parkland.
Address: Broadlands, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51 9ZD
Hampshire; Test Valley; Romsey
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||185||Grid Ref:||SU354203|
The house is signposted from the A3090 south of Romsey.
Opening contact details:
Guided tours are available on selected days. Group visits can also be arranged.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: mansion house
Site Style : informal
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 250