Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

The Molyneux family came to England at the time of the conquest and assisted The Duke of Normandy at the Battle of Hastings. In return they were given vast tracts of land in Lancashire, including the Manor of Euxton.

The Anderton family of Lancashire were prominent. Hugh Anderton married Isabel Hancock of Pendle Hall around 1600. By 1627, Isabel, now a widow and her son, another Hugh, were tenants of Euxton Hall. On 5th May, 1627, they purchased the Euxton Hall and estates from Sir Richard Molyneux, Knight and Baronet for £450. (National Archives D/D An Bundle 34/92).

One of the Anderton descendants, William Anderton, married Mary Molyneux (the daughter of Richard, 5th Viscount Sefton). Their daughter Catherine married Sir Robert Garswood of Garswood and New Hall, Lancs. It was at this time that the old Euxton Hall was rebuilt. Their son William married Frances Sobieski Ince, daughter and heiress of Christopher Ince, one of the largest land and property owners.

During the Civil War much of their property was sequestered but was regained during the reign of Charles II.

A grandson, William Michael Ince Anderton married Emma Frances Plunkett, the daughter of Arthur, 9th Earl of Fingall in 1850 and at the same time built the current Euxton Hall. Their children were William Arthur Alphonsus, Francis Robert, Maude, Emma, and Mary Cecil Anderton.

They were staunch Catholics like all Andertons. William Michael Ince Anderton donated £1,000 toward the building of the nearby St. Mary's RC church which was opened in 1865. In 1866 he commissioned the architect E.W. Pugin (1834-1875) to build a private chapel near to the hall. The inscription on the date stone in Latin translates as "To the Glory of God through the invocation of The Blessed Virgin Mary, William Ince Anderton and his wife Lady Emma Anderton erected this Chapel. 15th August, 1866". Sadly Lady Emma died two months later.

By 1881, William and his daughter Emma (Emily) were living in Rugby, Warwickshire. Maude married Edmund Arthur Le Gendre Starkie of Huntroyd Hall, Padiham, Lancashire. Another daughter, Mary Cecil Anderton married George Curzon and became 17th Baroness Zouche of Harryngworth on marriage. Major William Arthur Alphonsus Anderton was living in 1881 in Farborough. The younger son, Sir Francis Robert, became a Barrister and after a time on the Northern Circuit went to practice in London and by 1881 was living and practicing in London.

After this time the hall was rented out and in particular between 1895 and 1899 to Christopher Gillibrand and his wife, members of that family which purchased the nearby Gillibrand Hall.

William Arthur Alphonsus died in 1926 and the hall became surplus. The hall was put up for sale and was purchased at auction on 28th September, 1927 by Mr Peter Reid, the sale also including the family chapel. It was probably around this time that the upper floor of the hall was removed. The portico was lowered and all the rainwater troughs bear the inscription ‘AD 1929'.

It was at this time that the Anderton family papers, which had been preserved at Euxton Hall were donated to Wigan Library Services and ultimately to The National Archives. The earliest document dates to 1218, progressing through to the mid-19th century (nationalarchives.gov.uk/D/D An).

When Mr. Reid died in 1949 the new owner was Sir Stanley Bell who restored the Chapel back to its former glory.

Between 1959 and 1965 the M6 motorway was constructed and this reduced the estate gardens by almost half.

In 1982 Euxton Hall was purchased by a private hospital company from the trustees of the late Sir Stanley Bell's estate. The chapel was purchased by one of the doctors but was left to decay. By 2003 the Chapel was in a very poor state but was saved by Andrew Gray, who purchased it and converted it to a private residence whilst maintaining the building's integrity. www.euxtonhallchapel.com)

Detailed history added 08/01/2014

Features

gate lodge

Feature created: 1849 to 1850

avenue

Feature created: 1849 to 1850

drive

Feature created: 1849 to 1850

chapel

Feature created: 1866

Creator: Edward Welby Pugin (born 11/03/1834 died 05/06/1875)