Brightling Park, East Sussex, England
Record Id: 538
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Brightling is a landscape park designed and laid out during the mid-18th century and in the 19th century under the direction of Humphry Repton. The site is now used for training racehorses and horse trials.
Brief history of site
The first known mansion on the site was 'Sheperdes', built between 1540-1561. Thomas Fuller bought the site in 1696, extending the Brightling estate to 95 hectares and commencing a scheme of improvement, rebuilding the house in about 1699. John Fuller's son, on inheriting further estates from a cousin in 1752, spent a considerable fortune between 1745-1755 on the Brightling estate. During this period he rebuilt the house, extended his land ownership, and laid out a deer park around the remodelled house. In 1806 Humphry Repton was commissioned to advise on the layout of the park.
Address: Brightling Park, Robertsbridge, East Sussex, TN32 5HH
Locality: East Sussex
East Sussex; Rother; Brightling
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ683209|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1540
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 212