Bridwell, Mid Devon, England
Record Id: 537
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Bridwell is a late-18th century landscape park and woodland with present grounds of about 33 hectares around the house, including 2 hectares of gardens and pleasure grounds. Much of the surrounding land has been returned to agriculture.
Brief history of site
Bridwell was leased by Richard Clarke, a wealthy yeoman in 1610, and subsequently purchased in 1628. The present house was constructed in 1774-1779. A 'Plan of Intended Alterations' dated 1779 attributed to Thomas Gray shows the house set at the centre of a landscape park with pleasure grounds to the north, a lake to the south and walled gardens adjacent to the old house south-west of the new building. The park shown on the 1779 proposal Plan corresponds closely to the site as it survives in the late-20th century.
Address: Bridwell Park Estate, Bridwell Avenue, Uffculme, Devon, EX15 3BU
Locality: Mid Devon
Devon; Mid Devon; Halberton
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||181||Grid Ref:||ST057126|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1610
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 33