Northwood Park, Cowes, (also known as Bellevue), Isle of Wight, England
Record Id: 5336
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Northwood Park was originally a 19th-century landscape park with pleasure grounds. The pleasure grounds were presented to Cowes Town Council in 1929, and have been used as a public park ever since. The landscape park was redeveloped in the 20th century.
Brief history of site
The park and pleasure grounds were originally developed by the Ward family from 1800 to 1817. By 1844 the layout of the pleasure grounds had changed, and continued to evolve throughout the 19th century. The pleasure grounds were presented to Cowes Town Council by the Ward family in 1929 and have been retained as a public park, now in the care of the Isle of Wight Council. The landscape park was re-developed mainly after World War II, with the land now occupied by Cowes High School, Cowes Golf Club and the Crossfield housing estate.
Address: Northwood Park, Ward Avenue, Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO31 8AY
Locality: Isle of Wight
Isle of Wight; Cowes
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||196||Grid Ref:||SZ493963|
Southern Vectis bus service no.1 stops at Park Gates.
Opening contact details:
This is a public park, open daily throughout the year. Please telephone 01 983 296825.
Pitch and Putt
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: public buildings
Site first created: 1800 to 1817
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 10