Findon Place, Worthing, England
Record Id: 5316
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
An estate map of 1786 shows the church in the centre of the park, near the house. There is also an orchard, fences, footpaths and a pond. The 1875 Ordnance Survey map shows an icehouse in 'The Paddock', a later addition to the estate. The gardens are not extensive but show a kitchen garden with glasshouse, pond and extensive outbuildings. The house is clearly intended to sit in its parkland setting.
Substantial flint walls to the kitchen garden are still extant, as is the lime avenue shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 1875 map.
Brief history of site
The present house was largely built in the early-18th-century, with associated gardens and parkland.
Address: Findon, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 0RF
West Sussex; Arun; Findon
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ117085|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1700 to 1750
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains