Barnham Court, (also known as Barnham House), Littlehampton, England
Record Id: 5308
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The house was built around 1640, with associated gardens. There is an orchard, garden and warren to the south-east of the house. There is also a large marl pit and further orchard. A path linking the house to the nearby church is still extant today. A small formal garden with criss-crossing paths was laid out behind the building in the 19th century. Tall hedges of box and yew survived in 1916 but most had gone by 1992.
Brief history of site
The medieval manor house mentioned from 1253 appears to have stood on the site of the present Barnham Court or in the close to the east of it. In 1337 it had a dovecot and two gardens.
Address: Barnham, PO22 0BP
West Sussex; Arun; Barnham
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU955034|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: 1253
Main period of development: Mid 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains