Bailiffscourt, (also known as The Bailiffscourt Hotel & Health Spa and Manor of Atherington), Littlehampton, England
Record Id: 5306
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Between 1927 and 1932 Lord and Lady Moyne created a new park at Baliffscourt. 1500 trees were planted, mostly oak and ash from Slindon, Madehurst and Arundel, to form belts of woodland both within the park and elsewhere on the estate. A new drive to the house was laid out from the north-west, crossing the moat through the re-erected gatehouse. The site is now a spa resort hotel.
Brief history of site
Bailiffscourt owes its origin and its name to a monastic foundation established by the Abbey of Seez in Normandy in 1082. It was granted free warren on its demesne at Atherington in 1272.
Address: Climping, West Sussex, BN17 5RW
West Sussex; Arun; Climping
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||TQ001008|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1082
Main period of development: Early 20th century