Muntham Court, (also known as Worthing Crematorium), Worthing, England
Record Id: 5303
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The crematorium is approached from the Worthing road by a sweeping drive. There is a thick woodland belt to the south, with views to the north past newly-planted lime trees and the remains of old park metal railings, across arable fields with a few remaining parkland trees and clumps. The land around the crematorium mainly consists of winding walks and glades through woodland planting of a variety of native and specimen trees.
Brief history of site
Whilst the first house was thought to be built by Thomas DeMuntham in 1371, it was not until 1734, after many changes in ownership, that there is a suggestion of a designed landscape. At this time, Lord Montague developed it as hunting seat.
Address: Horsham Road, Findon, Worthing, BN14 0RG
West Sussex; Arun; Findon
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ112097|
Muntham Court, which is now the Worthing Crematorium, is situated in the parish of Findon.
Opening contact details:
The site is now in divided ownership, but the crematorium area is in municipal ownership and for general public use.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: garden of rest
Context or principal building: religious ritual and funerary
Site first created: 1734
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains