Shillinglee Park, Petworth, England
Record Id: 5302
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The importance of the Shillinglee Park lies in the high aesthetic value of the house and ancillary buildings, its roots in the landscape, its structural planting and in its close connection with the surrounding estates of Petworth Park, Cowdray Park and Burton Park. All have connections to Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, with known work by Brown at Petworth and Cowdray and accounts for work carried out at both Burton Park and Shillinglee Park.
Maps of the Shillinglee estate after alterations took place show increased levels of woodland planting in the park that gradually narrow the view from the house to the lake, clumps of tree planting, smoothing of the edges of the lake, and a less formal parkland. Large scale planting of thousands of trees took place in the 1760s outside the park but within the estate. The view of an expert on Brown and his work is that his suggestions in his general plan were carried out.
Brief history of site
The evidential value of fishponds, the use of iron production and brickmaking allow for both archaeological evidence and remnants, together with historic value from the documentary evidence of tree planting and how it is linked to the design of the landscape, together with the supply of plants and flowers for the house.
Shillinglee Park has been owned by the Turnour family for 300 years and the family has provided both Members of Parliament, members of the Privy Council and the Government in their time.
Address: Kirdford, Haslemere, GU8 4SY
West Sussex; Chichester; Kirdford
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU966320|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: flats
Site first created: Before 1552
Main period of development: 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 48.56