Chesworth House, Crawley, England
Record Id: 5276
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The gardens are mainly the work of Captain Cook in the 1920s and 1930s. They are reputed to be very beautiful and use the moat to form the basis for the water gardens. Small waterfalls create a number of fish ponds.
Brief history of site
Chesworth was one of the three deer parks owned by William de Braose, lord of the Rape of Bramber, the others being Denne Park and Sedgwick Park. There are substantial parts of the Tudor house still existing and incorporated into the newer buildings.
Address: Chesworth, Horsham, RH13 0AA
West Sussex; Horsham; Southwater
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ176295|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: 1500 to 1599
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Survival: Part: standing remains