Lordington, Chichester, England
Record Id: 5268
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Lordington House, surrounded by its 17th-century, listed walled gardens and bowling green, is set just above the fish pond (an enlarged part of the River Ems) and the flint and brick former watermill. The house is now a Bed and Breakfast. To the south of Lordington House is Lordington Park (built between 1818 and 1880) which is situated within a parkland setting. The scattered parkland trees of lime, oak, ash and horse chestnut are singly placed, with one clump of cedars. Lordington Park is now a residential nursing home.
Brief history of site
Lordington House is thought to date to the 15th century, and was partly re-built in 1623.
Address: Lordington, PO18 9DB
West Sussex; Chichester; Funtington
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU783097|
Lordington is situated at map reference SU783097, close to the River Ems on ground rising from 30 metres up to 65 metres.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: 1400 to 1623
Main period of development: Early 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains