Ladyholt Park, West Sussex, England
Record Id: 5265
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The only buildings in the valley are two cottages which appear to be located on the site of outbuildings associated with the original house. The position of Ladyholt House is evident from brick and tile rubble in the ploughed field to the south-east of the cottages.
With the exception of a bank of grassland, designated a Site of Nature Conservation Importance by West Sussex County Council, for its species-rich chalk grassland, the rest of the park is in arable production.
Brief history of site
There is some confusion about the exact date of construction, but we know from a lease dated 1680 that the mansion had been newly-built and the park recently enclosed and impaled and stocked with deer.
Address: Harting , PO18 9NT
Locality: West Sussex
West Sussex; Chichester; Harting
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU754164|
Ladyholt Park is situated to the south-west of the village of Harting at map reference SU754164.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Agriculture and subsistence
Context or principal building: agriculture and subsistence
Site first created: 1590 to 1680
Main period of development: Mid 17th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains