Halnaker Park, Boxgrove, England
Record Id: 5255
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Halnaker Park is an medieval deer park situated in the parish of Boxgrove in the Hundred of Box and Stockbridge. The most impressive feature of the landscape is the mature Sweet Chestnut Trees. In essence, the landscape of Halnaker Park has changed little in 370 years, with the exception of changes in land use. More of the park is now under arable cultivation rather than grassland and pasture (as indicated by the field names in 1629).
Brief history of site
The park may have originated in a grant of free warren made to Robert de St John in 1253 for his demense at Halnaker and Goodwood.
Address: Halnaker, PO18 0LX
West Sussex; Chichester; Boxgrove
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU910090|
Halnaker Park is situated to the north of Halnaker village in the parish of Boxgrove, at map reference SU910090.The ruins of Halnaker House are situated at 60 metres on the south slope of rising ground bordered by two north/south running valleys.
Form of site: deer park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1253
Main period of development: 13th century