Breccles Hall, (also known as Breckles Hall), Thetford, England
Record Id: 525
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site has 19th- and 20th-century gardens set within the framework of the earlier 16th- and 17th-century garden design. The 5 hectares of gardens around the house also include a moat and there is a woodland beyond the managed gardens.
Brief history of site
John Woodehouse began construction of Breccles Hall, a work which was completed by his son Francis in 1583. Two garden courtyards to the west of the Hall were constructed at this time. After 1709 the house and grounds fell into disrepair and the house became a farmhouse after 1832. Charles Hanbury inherited the estate in around 1900 and employed the Arts and Crafts architect Detmar Blow to completely renovate the Hall. After a change in ownership, in 1910 Edwin Lutyens was employed to make additions to the interior and to add a new service wing.
Address: Lower Stow Beddon, NR17 1EW
Norfolk; Breckland; Stow Bedon
Historical County: Norfolk
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||144||Grid Ref:||TL961944|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1550 to 1583
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5