Eartham House, (also known as Great Ballard Preparatory School ), Chichester, West Sussex, England
Record Id: 5219
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Eartham House is situated to the southern end of the hamlet of Eartham.. The house and grounds are within a triangle of land bounded by two roads. To the north of the house, within the point of the triangle are a number of associated buildings and structures.
The grounds are principally to the south of the house on steeply rising ground, up to 94 metres. At the top of the hill, where there is a tree-covered mound amongst the woodland, there are extensive views across the playing fields to the south coast and Chichester.
The house is now a private school, and is also used as a wedding venue.
Brief history of site
The first reference to the establishment of a residence at Eartham was in 1743 when Thomas Hayley purchased a small estate from the heirs of Sir Robert Fag in order to build a house for his summer retirement. After his death in 1775, the house was occupied by his son William Hayley who was a poet.
Address: Eartham, , PO18 0LR
Locality: Chichester, West Sussex
West Sussex; Chichester; Eartham
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU939092|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: education
Site first created: 1743
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains