Compton Park, (also known as Little Green and Little Green School ), Chichester, West Sussex , England
Record Id: 5203
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Compton Park is a gentle valley running north-east/south-west which gives spectacular views toward Up Park House set nearly 100 metres above Little Green. Very little remains now of the parkland trees.
Brief history of site
Little Green was first recorded under that name in 1695. Thomas Peckham Phipps invited Humphry Repton to visit Little Green in 1793 and advise on its improvements, and from the inscription, 'TPP 1802' on the present house it appears he also replaced the old manor house which Repton so disliked.
Address: Compton, , PO18 9NW
Locality: Chichester, West Sussex
West Sussex; Chichester; Compton
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||197||Grid Ref:||SU771157|
Little Green and its associated parkland named Compton Park is situated to the north of Compton village and immediately abutting the south-western corner of Up Park.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1695 to 1793
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains