Branklyn, Perth, Scotland
Record Id: 517
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The early-20th-century garden at Branklyn House developed into one of national significance because of its renowned plant collections, many of them built up from seed brought back from plant hunting expeditions. The garden is on a sloping site and consists of rock and scree gardens and shrubs beds, with a wealth of dwarf rhododendrons, alpines, herbaceous and peat-garden plants.
Brief history of site
John and Dorothy Renton created the gardens between 1922 and 1966 on the site of an overgrown orchard.
Address: Branklyn, Dundee Road, Perth, Perthshire, PH2 7BB
Perth & Kinross
Historical County: Perthshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||58||Grid Ref:||NO 126224|
Stagecoach buses stop 200 metres from the garden. For details see:
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open daily between April and October.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1922 to 1966
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.6