Church Stretton Rectory, Church Stretton, Shropshire, England
Record Id: 5155
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
In the late-18th and 19th centuries, there was an extensive landscape park attached to Church Stretton Rectory. The rectory is now a luxury bed and breakfast, and the grounds are a woodland park open to the public.
Brief history of site
John Mainwaring took Church Stretton rectory in 1749, and around 1775, embarked on a programme of improving the glebe lands. Further improvements were undertaken by successive rectors throughout the 19th century.
Address: Old Rectory House, Burway Road, Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6 6DW
Locality: Church Stretton, Shropshire
Shropshire; Church Stretton
Historical County: Shropshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||137||Grid Ref:||SO451938|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: country park
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1775
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 6.5