Bramshill Park, Bramshill , England
Record Id: 511
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Bramshill Park has early formal gardens, pleasure grounds and a park of around 240 hectares. The formal gardens date from the early-17th century and were laid out by Lord Edward Zouche. The parkland is now in divided ownership, with some leased to the Forestry Commission and some used as farmland. The house and immediate grounds serve as a Police Staff College.
Brief history of site
Thomas Foxley was licensed to enclose a deer park of 2500 acres (1012 hectares) in 1347 and between 1351 and 1360, built a house at Bramshill. In 1605 it was sold to Edward, Lord Zouche of Harringworth, a patron of science and a horticulturalist. He built the present mansion in 1605-12, on the site of Thomas Foxley's house. In 1699, Bramshill was sold to Sir John Cope who restored and altered the house, developed new designs for the formal gardens, and continued large-scale tree planting in the park. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the park and gardens were given a degree of informality with the formation of the Broad Water on the course of the River Hart and the return to parkland of formal garden enclosures south of the house.
Address: Bramshill House, Bramshill, Hook, Hampshire, RG27 0LR
Hampshire; Hart; Bramshill
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU757598|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: civil
Site first created: 1347 to 1360
Main period of development: Early 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 236