Possingworth Park, (also known as Holy Cross Priory), Heathfield, East Sussex, England
Record Id: 5082
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Possingworth Park is a mid-19th-century garden of formal terraces, a sunken lawn, pinetum and lake laid out from 1866 by Robert Marnock. It is the setting for a Tudor-gothic-style mansion designed by architect Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt.
Brief history of site
In 1864 Louis Huth, a member of a German banking family, bought the house (which subsequently became known as Old Possingworth Manor) and around 830 hectares of land in order to build 'one of the grandest mansions in the South of England'.
The new mansion, Possingworth Park, built from 1866 at a cost of 'more than £60,000' (Lower) and sited around one kilometre north-east of the old manor, was designed by the celebrated architect Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt in a Tudor-gothic style.
Address: Cross in Hand, Heathfield, TN21 OTS
Locality: Heathfield, East Sussex
East Sussex; Wealden; Heathfield and
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ544208|
The site lies some 7.5 kilometres to the east of the A22 Eastbourne to London road and one kilometre east of the village of Blackboys.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: nursing home
Site Style : formal
Site first created: 1864 to 1870
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains