Isfield Place, Isfield, England
Record Id: 5046
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Isfield Place is a formal compartmentalised garden laid out from the late-19th century to the west and south of an Elizabethan manor house. There are surviving elements of garden and landscape features from the 16th century onwards.
Brief history of site
In 1871 the owner, Henry King, converted the building for his own occupation. He made additions to the house and restored outhouses and garden walls, as confirmed by the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of 1874. He also rearranged the interior of the house, made the north front the principal approach and laid out a formal walled garden.
In the early-20th-century the enclosed gardens to the west and south of the house were transformed into an Arts and Crafts style 'garden of rooms'.
Address: Station Road, Isfield, TN22 5XR
East Sussex; Wealden; Isfield
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ446184|
The site is approximately one kilometre north-west of the village of Isfield and about ten kilometres north-east of Lewes.
Form of site: compartment
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: 1871
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 123