Caynton Hall, (also known as Coynton Hall), Ryton, Shropshire, England
Record Id: 5040
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Caynton House was built in the late 18th or early 19th century, and had associated grounds. At the western end of those grounds there is a neo-Romanesque grotto, cut out of the red sandstone quarry which was probably used to acquire the stone for the house.
Brief history of site
Caynton Hall was built as a gentleman's house in the late 18th or early 19th century by William Yonge, perhaps on the site of an earlier farmhouse called Dennetts Hays. There were grounds attached to the house from this time.
Address: Caynton Hall, nr Beckbury, Ryton, Shifnal, Shropshire, TF11 9JQ
Locality: Ryton, Shropshire
Historical County: Shropshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||127||Grid Ref:||SJ777028|
Form of site: garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1775 to 1803
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Country house Created 1775 to 1803
Caynton Hall may have been styled on an earlier residence of William Yonge's, perhaps Pirbright Lodge in Surrey. There are also elements of the design which may have been inspired by mansions in the southern United States. The building is of seven bays and two storeys, with a low-pitched slate roof. There are office and stable blocks to each side, connected to the main range by arcades. The north facade has a projecting central bow window with a Tuscan colonnade. To the rear is a semicircular portico, off of which opens a circular hall. Caynton Hall was later altered in the 1850s by Col. Legge, and again in the 1960s. At this time, a second bay to the south was added, the hall was extended east to give a balanced effect, and the stables were renovated. The house was divided into three parts in 1977.
People associated with this site
Owner: William J. Yonge (Known to have been active 1775 to 1803)
Feature created: 1800 to 1850
The grotto is cut from a disused red sandstone quarry. The entrance is plain, but the interior, which comprises a series of 'ambulatories' and 'sanctuaries' supported on pillars, is decorated in the neo-Norman style.
Organisations associated with this site
Sources of information
Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (London: Yale University Press, 2006) p. 238
Baugh, G.C. (ed.) Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, Volume 10, (London: Constable, 1998), pp. 240-7
There are no images associated with this site