Use Places & People to search over 6,600 parks and gardens in the UK and 2,100 biographies of people associated with them. Image location: Bedgebury National Pinetum

Learn about the rich heritage of parks and gardens in Topics.
Image location: Powis Castle

Follow News & Events, updated regularly with the latest information affecting historic parks and gardens. Image location: Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Visit the Schools for ideas and activities to encourage the interest of children and young people in their local parks. Image location: Trentham

Join us as a volunteer and Research & Record historic parks and gardens in your area.
Image location: Cirencester Abbey

View the Illustrated Glossary which provides definitions and accompanying images for terms and concepts associated with historic parks and gardens. Image location: Pannett Park

This site is NOT open to public.

Loading...

Brief description of site

Heron's Ghyll has a mid- to late-19th-century garden laid out with formal, rock and water gardens by the poet, Coventry Patmore. The gardens surround a new house built on an estate of 14th-century origin, part of which was later sold and developed as a separate house and garden from 1869.

Brief history of site

In 1866 Coventry Patmore brought two adjoining estates (covering some 150 hectares), one on either side of the Uckfield to Crowborough Road. In 1869, Patmore sold the estate on the west side of the road to an Alexander Nesbitt, re-naming his re-built house on the east, Heron's Ghyll. From 1869 the estates remained in separate ownership. At Heron's Ghyll, Patmore developed formal gardens and a chain of five ornamental ponds linked by waterfalls along the ravine.

Location information:

Address: Uckfield, TN22 4DA

Locality: East Sussex

Local Authorities:

East Sussex; Wealden; Buxted

Historical County: Sussex

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: 199 Grid Ref: TQ483272
Latitude: 51.0251 Longitude: 0.113252

Key information:

Form of site: garden

Purpose of site: ornamental garden

Context or principal building: house

Site first created: 1866 to 1869

Main period of development: Late 19th century

Survival: Extant

Site Size (Hectares): 35

Print preview