Garsdon Manor, Malmesbury, England
Record Id: 5020
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief history of site
The site was formerly the property of the Abbot of Malmesbury. The manor house, farm and considerable surrounding area was given by Henry VIII in 1543 to Richard Moody. Subsequently it was owned by various members of the gentry and aristocracy, including members of the Washington family. The date of creation of the garden is unknown, but the plan shows it in essentially its present form in 1720.
Address: Garsdon, Malmesbury, SN16 9NJ
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||173||Grid Ref:||ST968878|
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: domestic / residential
Site first created: Before 1720
Main period of development: 16th century