Glyndley Manor, Wealden, England
Record Id: 5014
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Glyndley Manor is a late-19th-century garden laid out with a sunken garden, lake, woodland and shrubbery walks to the north. The gardens are to the east and south-east of a 16th-century Elizabethan manor house.
Brief history of site
The manor house was probably reduced in size and occupied by tenants until bought in 1872 by Captain William Taylor. In the grounds, Taylor extended the parkland around the house and the plantations to the south and south-east, creating a decoy duck pond and making a drive of 'a mile in length from one lodge to another'.
Address: Westham, Wealden, BN24 5BS
East Sussex; Wealden; Westham
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ606067|
Glyndley Manor lies 1.8 kilometres north-west of Hankham and around two kilometres north-east of Polegate, off the north side of the B2104 between Hailsham and Stone Cross, eight kilometres north of Eastbourne.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1872
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 11