Bowood, Calne, England
Record Id: 500
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Bowood is an 18th-century landscape park and woodland of some 36 hectares, with a 19th-century terraced garden. There is also a separate 19th- and 20th-century rhododendron woodland of 20 hectares, set within a larger park, woodland and agricultural land of some 500 hectares.
Brief history of site
The first Earl of Shelburne purchased Bowood in 1754 and completed the house started in the early-18th century. An early 18th-century park is recorded in a contemporary painting and maps. In 1755-60 the first Earl commissioned the architect Henry Keene to enlarge the house and in 1757 he asked Lancelot Brown to give advice on a landscape garden to complement the new house. Robert Adam made alterations to the house in the 1760s and also designed a mausoleum in the park. Robert Smirke constructed an upper terrace outside Robert Adam's mid-18th-century orangery, which connected the pavilions of the main house. Later, in 1848, the third Marquess introduced a large pinetum.
Address: Derry Hill, SN11 0LZ
Wiltshire; Calne Without
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||173||Grid Ref:||ST974699|
The site is south of the M4 at junction 17.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open between March and November from 11 am.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: Before 1754
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 550