Summary

This site is NOT open to public.

Loading...

Brief description of site

The site of the old house, immediate gardens and kitchen garden have now been built on with modern executive houses. The remaining original grounds have the appearance of rough, open grassland and woodland.

Brief history of site

The estate became vested as part of the Duchy of Lancaster and was conveyed by grant by Henry VIII to Thomas, Lord Audley. It continued in the family until it was sold in 1680. It passed through a number of owners until an auction in 1920 broke up the estate. The main hall was destroyed by fire in 1929 and modern houses built on the site

Location information:

Address: Theydon Bois, Essex

Locality: Theydon Bois

Local Authorities:

Essex; Epping Forest

Historical County: Essex

OS Landranger Map Sheet Number: Grid Ref: TQ439981
Latitude: 51.6633 Longitude: 0.0791942

Key information:

Form of site: country estate

Site first created: Before 1660

Survival: Lost

Description

History

Site timeline

1715: The mansion of Debden Hall was rebuilt for Richard Cresswell

1777: Alex Hamilton shown as the owner on the Chapman and Andre map

1883 to 1917: Joseph Thomas Palmer bought the estate from John Williams, 1883 and it remained in his family until 1917

References

Organisations associated with this site

Essex Gardens Trust

Sources of information

Images

There are no images associated with this site