Norman Court, (also known as Norman Court Preparatory School), Salisbury, England
Record Id: 4919
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site has a mid-18th-century landscape park which was developed on an earlier site. Features include a game larder dating from around 1800, the line of the main drive and various specimen trees.
Brief history of site
The manor consisting only of about 120 acres in the 13th century was gradually enlarged over time. A new house consisting of a modest centre block with courtyards on the north-east and north-west corners, with stables and a coach-house, was built after 1752 on a more elevated site. Sales particulars of 1806 describe 212 acres of 'Gardens, pleasure grounds, Park and Lands, of which house, offices, gardens, paddocks and park pasture comprises 142 acres.' The parkland and gardens were reduced to 28 acres with a few significant surviving historic features. The site has been a school since 1952.
Address: Norman Court, West Tytherley , SP5 1NF
Hampshire; Test Valley; West Tytherley
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||184||Grid Ref:||SU 265 309|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1752 to 1952
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 11.2