Swynnerton Hall, Stafford, England
Record Id: 4882
The medieval manor on which these gardens stand was owned by the Swynnerton family for several centuries, before it came to the Fitzherberts by marriage in 1562. The hall and estate have been owned by the Fitzherbert family ever since.
The Fitzherberts were Royalist sympathisers during the civil wars of the 17th century. The result of this was vandalism and destruction of the house at the hands of Parliamentarian forces. In the 1720s, the manor was eventually rebuilt in the Georgian style, by architect Francis Smith of Warwick. The new house had three storeys, and a nine-bayed frontage. This house still stands today. In 1868, Gilbert Blount built a private chapel next to the hall.
The park was laid out by Lancelot Brown in 1758, though major alterations were made by James Trubshaw in 1810.
People associated with this site
Designer: Lancelot Brown (born 1716 died 06/02/1783)
Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II*
Designation status: The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Designation Grade II