Apethorpe Hall, Oundle, England
Record Id: 4856
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The extensive formal gardens at Apethorpe Hall consist of early-20th-century terracing and topiary designed by Reginald Blomfield, overlaying a structure of garden compartments created in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Brief history of site
Gardens were created in the 16th and 17th centuries, but the first depiction of the layout in plan form appears to be an early-19th-century copy of an undated early-18th-century map. A formal layout included a bowling green centred on the main range of the south front, leading via steps up to a broad formal walk flanked by statues and yew trees. Further work on the Hall, and possibly the grounds, occurred around 1740. Following the purchase of the estate in 1904 by Baron Brassey, the gardens and parts of the Hall were remodelled by Reginald Blomfield. Blomfield created features within the extant garden compartments, including many terraces and formal changes of level linked by steps.
Address: Apethorpe Hall, near Stamford, Northamptonshire, PE8 5AQ
Northamptonshire; East Northamptonshire; Apethorpe
Historical County: Northamptonshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||141||Grid Ref:||TL022953|
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site Style : formal
Site first created: After 1500
Main period of development: 16th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 18