Memorial Gardens, Nottingham, England
Record Id: 4824
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The Memorial Gardens, commemorating the dead of World War 1, are early 20th-century gardens laid out on land donated by Sir Jesse Boot. They lie on the Victoria Embankment of the River Trent and incorporate the city's war memorial in the form of an arch and terrace.
Brief history of site
The earthworks of Victoria Embankment were constructed between 1898 and 1901. The adjacent Meadows Recreation Ground was opened in May 1906. A further area of land was bought in 1920 by Sir Jesse Boot and donated to the Corporation of Nottingham to be preserved as open space and a memorial site in perpetuity. The Memorial Gardens were laid out by Mr J. Parker, the Superintendent of the Nottingham Public Parks Committee, and opened in 1927.
Address: Victoria Embankment, Nottingham, NG2 2LA
Historical County: Nottinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||192||Grid Ref:||SK578378|
Opening contact details:
The Memorial Gardens are a public open space.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1898 to 1927
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2.7