Calwich Abbey, East Staffordshire, England
Record Id: 4798
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
There is a small house, dating from 1849, standing on the site of a derelict medieval priory. The gardens comprise pleasure grounds (now overgrown), an artificial lake, and a late-18th-century temple.
Brief history of site
A 12th-century Augustinian Abbey eventually passed into secular ownership, and the estate soon became an important political seat.
Address: Ellastone, , DE6 2EQ
Locality: East Staffordshire
Staffordshire; East Staffordshire; Ellastone
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||128||Grid Ref:||SK126424|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: 1148
Main period of development: 18th century