Kelmscott Manor, (also known as Lower Farm), Lechlade, England
Record Id: 4755
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Kelmscott Manor was the country home of William Morris from 1871 until 1896. The gardens associated with the 16th-century farmhouse are laid out in compartments and feature a formal garden, barns, a dovecote, a stream and a meadow.
Brief history of site
The original house was probably built by Richard Turner (died 1600) or his son Thomas. A block to the north-east was probably added before 1682. In 1871 the manor was leased jointly to William Morris and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. Rossetti moved to London in 1874, and Kelmscott became the Morris family's second home. Kelmscott and the surrounding countryside had a great influence on Morris' creative work, and images drawn therefrom appear frequently in his poetry, prose and designs for textiles and wallpapers.
Address: Kelmscott Manor, Kelmscott, Lechlade, Gloucestershire, GL7 3HJ
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Kelmscott
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SU251988|
The Manor is in the village of Kelmscott, about 25 kilometres south-west of Oxford. There is a 10 minute walk from the car park by the church.
Opening contact details:
Kelmscott Manor is open from April to September at restricted times. For details ring 01367 252486 and see:
Form of site: compartment
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: historic house
Site Style : Arts and Crafts
Site first created: Before 1600
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3