Great Tew, Chipping Norton, England
Record Id: 4701
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Great Tew comprises parkland of late-16th-century origin, 17th-century walled gardens, pleasure gardens and further parkland, on which Humphry Repton advised in the early-19th century. John Claudius Loudon managed some of the estate from 1808-1811 and contributed to its layout. The registered area is part of a much larger estate which has been improved and diversified during the 19th and 20th centuries.
Brief history of site
An inner, middle and outer park had been established by the end of the 16th century. In the 1620s there was further enclosure. The estate was inherited by Lucius Cary in 1626, under whom it is likely that the stone-walled garden near the house were created. The estate was sold to Francis Keck in 1698. The estate was enlarged and was bought by George Stratton between 1774 and 1793. Much of the manor house was demolished after the estate was inherited by his son in 1800. Repton was consulted about improvements in 1803, and much of the farmland was leased to J.C. Loudon in 1808.
Address: Great Tew, Chipping Norton, Oxon, OX7 4AJ
Locality: Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Great Tew
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP398290|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1599
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 150