Woodhead Park, Kirkintilloch, Scotland
Record Id: 4685
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Woodhead Park was opened in 1931 on the site of a former small and relatively undeveloped estate. It comprises an area of formal bedding with ornamental trees, and more open grassy areas with playing pitches.
Brief history of site
The Woodhead estate was owned by the Dalrymple family from at least the 16th century. In 1883 the estate was included within the town boundaries. In the early-20th century land at Townhead was donated to the Town Council by Thomas Dalrymple but it was not until some 20 years after his death that the estate was opened as a public park in 1931.
Address: Woodhead Park, Lenzie Road, Kirkintilloch, G66 3BF
Historical County: Dunbarton
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||64||Grid Ref:||NS656733|
Woodhead Park is in the Townhead district of Kirkintilloch. There are several points of access, including Lenzie Road.
Opening contact details:
Woodhead Park is a municipal park for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 7
An area of formal bedding and paths with a symmetrical layout is situated in the northern third of the park just south of the former house site. Tree planting here includes ornamental cherries, a weeping ash, a Corstophine sycamore, a grand fir and a variety of other conifers. There is also a mature tree belt in this section of the park composed of sycamore with some ash and oak. The southern part of the park is given over to open grassy areas with sports and play facilities. There is potential for restoring and upgrading park features and some of the planting.
Owner: East Dunbartonshire Council
Tom Johnston House, Civic Way, Kirkintilloch, Glasgow
Scheduled Ancient Monument Reference Forth and Clyde Canal - part of the Luggie Burn feeder to the canal
house Created 1600 to 1972
Wester Woodhead House, demolished in 1972, had a 17th-century core with 18th- and 19th-century additions.
1972: Wester Woodhead House is demolished.
Dalrymple Memorial to James Dalrymple (1844-1901) donated by his uncle, Thomas D G Dalrymple (1853-1908)
An underground feeder to the Forth and Clyde Canal, replacing a former open channel.
Gate piers associated with the drive to Wester Woodhead House.
Feature created: 1955
Replaces a bandstand constructed for the opening of the park in 1931.
Organisations associated with this site
Historic Environment Scotland (formerly Historic Scotland) Role: Designating Authority
Sources of information
East Dunbartonshire Council, `Woodhead Park?, Survey of Historic Gardens and Designed Landscapes in East Dunbartonshire, <http://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/Web+Site/Live/EDWebLive.nsf/LU-AllContent/NHUR-6XHL52?Open> [accessed 16 August 2008]
There are no images associated with this site