Belmont House, Herefordshire, Clehonger, Hereford, England
Record Id: 4560
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The house was built in 1788 for John Matthews to a design by James Wyatt, and set in a landscape park by Humphry Repton, with views over a ha-ha to the River Wye. The park includes several cottages designed by John Nash. The house was remodelled by Edward Welby Pugin in 1866. Most of the park is now a golf course.
Brief history of site
The house was begun in 1788, designed by James Wyatt for John Matthews. The parkland setting was designed by Humphry Repton. The house was remodelled in 1866 by Edward Welby Pugin.
Locality: Clehonger, Hereford
Herefordshire, County of; Clehonger
Historical County: Herefordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||149||Grid Ref:||SO476387|
Two miles south-west of Hereford via the A465 and a minor road.
Form of site: landscape park
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1788
Main period of development: Late 18th century