Whaddon Hall, Milton Keynes, England
Record Id: 4549
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site has the remains of a late-15th-century park surrounding an early-19th-century mansion house. There are gardens associated with the house.
Brief history of site
The original manor house can be traced back as far as the 11th century and underwent a series of alterations until it was demolished in the late-18th-century. A new brick mansion house was erected on the site in 1820.
The park and garden both date from the 15th century.
In the 1940s, Whaddon Hall was used as the headquarters of Section VII of MI6 and was a vital link to the operations at Bletchley Park.
Address: High Street, Whaddon, MK17 0NA
Locality: Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire; Aylesbury Vale; Whaddon
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||152||Grid Ref:||SP 807 346|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Agriculture and subsistence
Context or principal building: mansion house
Site first created: Before 1500
Main period of development: 15th century
Survival: Part: standing remains